Sunday, June 14, 2009

Letterpress Weekend Workshop

What an exhilarating experience to spend a weekend working with a letterpress master. The time I spent, a willing sponge soaking information about the craft I use and adore so much. Most of the printing we utilize is letterpress and I wanted to know more behind it. Have read a ridiculous amount about it, but there is nothing like experiencing a time honored tradition first hand. Similarly reading a book about driving and never getting behind the wheel. This workshop I had the pleasant pleasure of working on a Vandercook press proof #4.
There is a plethora of information out there on this magnificent specimen, just sharing a joyful experience. This is a picture of a 'chase with furniture' that will make the impression into the paper that seamlessly flows atop its raised foundry. I revel in the process upon which the ink is applied to the rollers seen above in green that melds flawlessly together. (should have taken more pictures!)

A drawer of type. Combinations of metal and wood foundry makes for a designer's paradise. There was so much to choose from including designer polymer plates, it was tough to select for one 3 color print. Personally I felt the time to learn the process and ask an inordinate amount of questions was the path I chose instead of the actual design of the finished piece. As you will see below, my selection was a bit juxtaposed, not particularly a coherent thought. Regardless of the outcome, I learned to type set, I learned a myriad of terms to reflect much more authoritative now when I do speak with my commercial printer when referencing pieces we are collaborating on together.

This was my final piece. I opted for a Sommerset Velvet stock, and a kissed punch. The blue was the first plate set with a combination of wood/ metal foundry and imagery direct on the base with furniture. The second plate (green) utilized polymer plates on a magnetic base. The third and final plate (red) was assembled in a chase, where I learned how to type set with leading and registration. Look at me, I feel so fancy with all of my new terminology, to all the "Pro's" out there, hope I did you proud!

1 comment:

KB said...

Any chance that piece is for sale? Love it!! The mark of a truly imaginative mind. The colors are beautiful and calming and the imagery is a punch of fun! Seriously, I want it!